This may be a little late but I wanted to share a little treat I made for my family for Easter. They can take as little or as much time as you want and I think that’s kind of the fun of it.
I love a good sugar cookie in all its forms. A simple cookie with sugar on top, a light glaze, fluffy buttercream frosting or, like these, a beautiful royal frosting.
A few hints for these cookies:
- make sure to use a rolling pin guide to make sure every cookie is the same thickness
- Bake at a higher temp for a less amount of time to keep the cookie soft and bake only until set on top and light brown on the bottom
- always use parchment paper so that the cookies don’t stick
- when the cookies come out, flip over on its top on top of a brown paper bag to flatten the tops. You don’t want any roundness to the top or the frosting can slide off
- If the cookie cutter design is very detailed, freeze the cut out cookies for a few minutes before baking to help hold its shape
Cut-out Sugar Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups Butter, softened
- 2 cups White Sugar
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 tsp Princess Flavoring
- 5 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and continue to beat until very light in color.
- Add the flavoring, flour, baking powder and salt and mix until just come together. Don’t overmix.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill dough for at least 1 hour before you cut out.
- Preheat over to 400 and prep sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Roll and cut out cookies. Bake 6-8 minutes until light brown on the bottoms and set on top.
- Set cookies aside to cool while you prep the frosting.
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 3 TB Meringue Powder
- 5 TB water, more may be needed
- Flavoring if desired
- Add all ingredients to the bowl of a stand up mixer
- Bat with whisk attachment for 7-10 minutes until peaks form
- Add water if needed to make the frosting the desired thickness
- Outline cookies in thicker icing, this down to flood the areas. Icing should flatten. Add more water if it appears lumpy. It should also not flow off the cookies. Don’t decorate too many at once.
- Have fun!!