I can’t hide my love of breakfast food. I cant remember a time in my life where it hasn’t been true. When I think of a Saturday morning it is always entangled with thoughts of pancakes, sausage, eggs, French toast, hash browns….I could go on and on. I would like a show of hands for everyone who shares my love.
When I woke up this morning, it was no different. I knew I had a few black bananas to use up and sourdough starter that needs to be discarded so that’s where the idea for this formed. I love using sourdough starter for pancakes! It adds such a great flavor and makes them so tender. I am glad every time I get to use it in a new recipe.
I have always had a dream of having a home where people come over for a big breakfast on Saturday mornings. I remember every once in a while as a kid when the whole family would meet for breakfast. There would be piles of pancakes, sausage, biscuits and gravy and maybe even some bohemian Jaternice and fried potato dumplings thrown in there. I hope that someday I have a circle of friends close that I can share this with. For now its just my husband and I enjoying wonderful breakfast foods like this.
Banana Sourdough Pancakes with Peanut Butter Syrup
- 1/2 cup Sour Dough Starter
- 2 cups Almond Milk
- 4 TB Vegetable Oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 very ripe Bananas, Mashed
- 2 cups flour
- 2 TB Sugar
- 1 TB Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
Peanut Butter Syrup
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Peanut Butter
- Mix together the starter, almond milk, oil, eggs and bananas. In a separate bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix the wet into the dry and mix just until moistened but not smooth.
- Turn griddle to a medium high heat (325-350) and spray with a non stick spray or lightly grease with butter.
- While griddle is warming add syrup and peanut butter to a saucepan and turn to a low heat. Just let them warm up stirring every few minutes.
- Pour about 1/3 cup batter onto the hot griddle. Watch for bubbles to form on the pancake and begin to burst. When this happens the pancake is ready to flip.
- Serve with the warm Peanut butter Syrup or any desired topping.