I love soup. I could have it almost every day! And what I love even more about soup is being able to make it in a new way. Two appliances that have allowed me to do that are my Vitamix Blender and Pressure cooker. My husband and I really splurged this past year and bought a Vitamix. I have always had a blender but the difference in having a Vitamix….well it’s night and day. Not only does it make the best smoothies I have ever had (no seeds to be found!!!) but it makes the most amazing, smoothest sauces I have ever had! Packed full of flavor and eliminating dairy almost entirely. It’s a true marvel.
It is a cold and gloomy fall day here and on top of it my poor husband has been sick for going on 3 weeks. I call that the perfect day for soup. Most of my soups not start with a cycle in the pressure cooker and today was no exception. I picked up 2 bone in chicken breasts, onions, carrots, celery and topped it off with some basic spices and 8 cups of water. I pressure cooked that for 35 minutes. I would normal toss most of the veggies just because they get so mushy and I like more texture in my soup….but today I thought maybe I would try something new. I left all the veggies whole and on top of the chicken breasts. After they were cooked I just popped them all in the vita mix with about a cup of liquid and set it to the soup setting. I then went ahead like normal and strained the stock into a pot and diced in some fresh veggies, cleaned the meat off the bone and added that, lightly browned some store bough Gnocchi and by that time, the soup setting was done. I then added that to the pot. I let this simmer for a bit and added a little more salt and pepper, some cornstarch to thicken it up a bit and a spoonful of goats cheese.
I tell you what, this soup is packed with flavor and veggies! And it is so creamy. Its just so much fun to try and make something new out of an old recipe.
I am going to add the recipe down below but please note that I only made this once so it may need some adjustments. I cant wait to try this again and peg down the recipe. If you try it, let me know what you think! 🙂
Creamy Chicken Vegetable Soup with Gnocchi
- 2 bone-in Chicken Breasts
- 12 carrots (8 for the stock, 4 for the soup)
- 2 large onions with ends and outside skin off
- 6 stalks celery (4 for the stock, 2 for the soup)
- 8 cups water
- 1 package Gnocchi
- 1-2 TB cornstarch in 1-2 TB COLD water
- 1-2 oz Goat Cheese
- 1 Chicken Stock cube
- salt, pepper and any other seasonings for stock that are desired
- Add to a pressure cooker pot 2 bone-in chicken breasts, 8 washed carrots with the ends trimmed off, 2 onions with ends trimmed off and outside skin removed, 4 stalks of celery, 8 cups of water as well as salt, pepper and spice to your taste.
- Set your pressure cooker to high pressure for about 35 minutes and let it do its thing.
- Clean and chop the carrots, celery and any other desired vegetable and set aside.
- Lightly brown the gnocchi and set aside.
- Once the pressure cooker goes off, release the pressure with quick release. Spoon vegetables into the Vitamix/blender. (try not to get any of the chicken gunk with the vegetables.)
- Strain remaining broth into a large pot. Pour about 1 cup of the broth over vegetables and process until smooth.
- Turn stock on medium high heat and add raw vegetables and gnocchi. Allow this to simmer until vegetables are soft.
- Rinse the chicken breast and remove meat from bones. Roughly chop and add to soup. Add pureed vegetables.
- Mix together the cornstarch and cold water and add to the soup while stirring.
- Add Goat cheese and season soup to taste.