I am going to blow your mind with these. I have always been a fan of Twix bars. Well, these are as good or better. It is impossible to just have one. While they may take a little time to make, they are a simple cookie that everyone will rave about! I promise.
Twixie Shortbread Cookie
2 cups Butter
1 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
4 1/2 cups Flour
1/2 Tsp Salt
15 oz Caramels
3-5 TB Heavy Cream
1 cup milk or dark Chocolate Chips
1 cup milk or dark Chocolate Candy Melts
2 tsp Shortening
- Preheat oven to 350 and line baking sheets with Parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer, cream your butter until it is fluffy and lump free. Add your powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix until incorporated.
- Add in flour and salt and mix until dough comes clear of side. They dough should be soft but not sticky at all.
- Roll dough to 1/4 inch and cut into desired shape. Place on pan. These cookies do not spread so you can feel free to fill up the pan.
- Bake cookies until lightly browned on bottom. 12-14 minutes. As soon as they come out of the oven, press down the middle slightly with the back of a spoon to make a small well for the caramel to pool in. If you do not do this step, the caramel has a tendency to slowly roll off the top of the cookie. Speaking from experience here. 🙂
- While cookies are baking and cooling, start to melt your caramel. Place all caramels in a microwave safe bowl and start to cook checking every 60 seconds. When the caramels start to melt down start adding the heavy cream and continue to microwave until very smooth and no lumps remain.
- At this point you can start adding the caramel to the tops of the cookies. The amount will depend on the size of your cookie and the well you made. I usually use about 2 teaspoons. You do not want the caramel sliding off the cookie so just add enough to generously fill the well.
- When all the cookies are filled with caramel, start to melt you chocolate. It will depend on the microwave but I usually start it at 1 1/2 minutes, stir and then microwave 30 more seconds until it is smooth. Then add in your shortening. This will smooth it out a bit and give the chocolate a nice shine. Spoon small amounts of chocolate on top of the caramel until the caramel is covered. In doing this, it helps keep the caramel in its place! They should set in less then an hour but if you want them right away, pop them in the freezer for a few minutes. Enjoy!