I am thinking about cookies today again. I always think of cookies on Sundays. Sunday afternoon always make me think of the bakery, 70’s music, cookies and my mom.
These cookies always please! You can add all sorts of flavors, colors or toppings. My favorite is still just the basic cookies with the basic buttercream frosting. It is simple and flavorful. I hope that you love these as much as I do.
Frosted Softy Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup Butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla or desired flavoring
- 3/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour, plus additional for dusting
- 1/2 tsp salt, if desired.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and mix until fully mixed.
- Add in the flavoring, sour cream, baking powder and baking soda. Mix until combined. Scrap down the sides of the bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add the flour and mix until a sough forms. The dough should be pretty firm since this is a rolled dough. Add more flour if it feels very soft. The dough should pull away from the sides of the bowl. At this point you can either wrap the dough tightly in saran wrap and chill or you can roll it out right away. If you roll right away, you will need a little extra flour.
- Preheat oven to 350. Roll medium sized balls of dough to about 1/4 inch and cut to desired shape. These cookies will puff up quite nicely when they bake. When placing the cut cookies on a tray please note that they will not spread when baking so you can fit a few extra on a tray then with a normal drop cookie. Also, try not to roll the dough more then once, set aside the scraps and roll that at the end. Your cookies will be much more tender and moist if you do this.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown on bottom. The tops will remain quite light.
- Frost with buttercream and add sprinkles if desired. Don’t go to light on the frosting. Because the cookie is a little more like a biscuit, it really needs that sweet, fluffy frosting for the top.
Butter Cream Recipe
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 3 Tb Cream, Milk or Creamer
- In a bowl, mix together the butter, vanilla and powdered sugar until they are combined. This will be dry.
- Add the cream and mix on medium high speed until light and fluffy. You may need to add more cream if it feels to stiff. Make sure to scrape down the bowl and mix in those bits very well.